Our MN/MBA combined degree program is for Registered Nurses or Registered Psychiatric Nurses interested in developing their ability to understand, analyze, develop and implement management and leadership practices in health-care settings.
Offered in partnership by the Faculty of Nursing and the Haskayne School of Business, this course-based program integrates nursing knowledge with business concepts.
Graduates of the program are uniquely prepared to take on leadership and management roles in acute care settings, public and community health, private practice, government, pharmaceutical organizations and entrepreneurial ventures.
This combined degree can be completed in 3 years as a full-time course-based student. Students also have the option to enroll in the program as a part-time student, with a maximum completion time of 6 six years.
Note all supporting documentation must be received by the deadline in order for applications to be considered complete and available for faculty to review.
September entry (Master of Nursing)
September entry (Master of Business Administration - full & part-time)
Important Notes on Admission
Applicants who are interested in the graduate programs with the Faculty of Nursing should contact the Graduate Programs Office prior to applying. In particular, we encourage international applicants to reach out to learn more. Please email email@example.com
Applicants will apply for admission to the MN course-based program and make a separate application for admission to the MBA program.
In addition to the Faculty of Graduate Studies requirements, the Faculty of Nursing requires that an applicant must:
- Be a Registered Nurse or a Registered Psychiatric Nurse holding a baccalaureate degree, normally in nursing
- Registered Nurses must be eligible with active nursing registration in Alberta with CARNA (College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta) or Registered Psychiatric Nurses must be eligible with active registration in Alberta with CRPNA (College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta)
- Hold CPR Certification at the Basic Rescuer or Basic Cardiac Life Support or 'C' level.
- Have completed one undergraduate course (3 units) in Statistics with a grade of 'C' or better.
- Submit a Security/Police clearance letter (as required by Alberta Health Services- AHS for all nursing graduate students completing a practicum or research in the province)
- For applicants required to provide proof of proficiency in English submit a minimum:
- TOEFL score of 97 (Internet-based test);
- IELTS score of 7.0;
- PTE score of 68; or
- CAEL overall score of 70 (no less than 70 on reading and writing sections).
- This requirement can also be met by completing the Academic Communication Certificate (https://esl.ucalgary.ca/programs/academic-communication-certificate) with a minimum grade of "A-" in writing courses.
- Have an interview(s) with a faculty member, if required by the Faculty of Nursing
Students must meet the admission requirements of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and those of the MN and MBA programs. The respective Combined Program Committee will review each application. Further information on application criteria and components to the MBA Program can be found on the Haskayne School of Business website.
Documents for Application Package
Please review the checklist of items for completion after you submit the online admission application.
Career & Learning Objectives
The application process includes a Career & Learning Objectives statement. Your statement will offer the admissions committee evidence of your knowledge, commitment, and the experience you hold as you pursue advanced preparation in Nursing.
Describe your professional experience as a nurse and how this preparation has prepared you for future education in your chosen stream of study.
What led you to apply for this particular graduate program?
What are your goals upon completion of the program?
Clearly identify your practice/population of focus of your programs.
Any additional information you wish to provide to the admissions committee.
You will upload this 1-2 page essay after you have submitted your online application.
Reference Request Form
The application for admission to the MN program requires two (2) references.
One (1) from an individual capable of assessing the applicants academic and research ability, normally an academic, and One (1) from an individual who can attest to the applicants nursing practice and expertise, normally the applicant’s supervisor or nurse manager. References written by friends, family members, colleagues, or people currently registered in a graduate degree program are not acceptable.
Your referees will receive a link to the reference request form after you have submitted your online application.
Further information is available in Grad Programs FAQs.
Transcripts for ALL post-secondary
This includes transcripts from the institutions where the degree was awarded, from any institution where any transfer credit was received towards a program of study, or where any independent coursework was taken.
Due to the COVID pandemic,
Electronic transcripts are now being accepted, please forward to:
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
Official hard copy transcripts can be sent to the attention of:
Faculty of Graduate Studies
University of Calgary ES 1010
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
Caitlin The (BN’11) combined her nursing education with an MBA and joined the Advanced Primary Care Network (APC) as their Clinic Office Manager. In her role, Caitlin leads the creation, implementation and evaluation of solutions for clinical processes, policies and practices, and supports a team of physicians, nurses, medical office assistants and other allied health professionals.
Caitlin credits her Haskayne MBA with providing her with the skills and capabilities to succeed at APC, an environment that is addressing some of the challenges she has seen in our health-care system throughout her nursing career.
After Admission into the Program
Documents required following offer of admission
Once you received an offer of admission to the program, you will be expected to provide the following:
- Immunization record: All graduate students will be required to meet the UCalgary immunization standards. Please refer to FN008-01: Immunization Requirements for All Nursing Students on the Policies and Procedures page.
- Security Clearance Letter: Alberta Health Services requires security clearance checks for all nursing students including graduate students who will be doing a practicum or research in the region.
- Applicants should request the Police Security Clearance check no longer than 3 months prior to entering their program.
- A copy of your current CPR Certification at the Basic Rescuer or Basic Cardiac Life Support or “C” level.
Please do not submit these documents until you have received an offer of admission to the program.
Students admitted to MN/MBA program will focus on MN courses in year 1 and MBA courses in years 2 & 3.
Course requirements include:
A) MN courses (15 units):
- NURS 627 Academic Scholarly Writing – Milestone course must be completed within first two weeks of program (non-credit)
- NURS 692 Qualitative Designs and Analysis (3 units)
- NURS 630 Quantitative Research and Statistics (3 units)
- NURS 632 Writing Proposals for the Nursing Profession (3 units)
- NURS 635 Cultivating Personal Leadership (3 units)
- NURS 611 Theoretical Knowledge and Advanced Nursing Practice (3 units)