Welcome to Parenthood© (W2P©) – Calgary
Welcome to Parenthood© – Calgary: Enhancing Programming for Vulnerable Expectant Women
Welcome to Parenthood© (W2P©) is an innovative program that was developed to contribute to Alberta’s vision to ensure children grow up healthy and strong. W2P© supports parents (mothers, fathers, and other co-parents) who may be experiencing periods of vulnerability during the transition to parenthood.
W2P© was designed to help increase first-time parents’ knowledge of healthy pregnancies, learn positive parenting skills, manage stressors, and receive information and referrals to supports. W2P© has three components:
1. Brain-based parenting education
2. Mentorship from a specially trained adult in the family’s own social network
3. An evidence-based baby kit that contains essential items for newborns and that support positive early childhood outcomes
In partnership with four community agencies, we tested W2P© with pregnant women and their families who are experiencing vulnerability associated with poverty, social isolation, mental illness, addictions and family violence. W2P© – Calgary was delivered as an enhancement to the existing programs at these community organizations.
Current Study Status: Analysis in Progress
Sponsors and Partners
The Benzies Lab would like to acknowledge funding from the Ministry of Human Services, Government of Alberta and support from our valued partners:
- Calgary Urban Society (CUPS)
- Alberta Health Services (AHS) Best Beginning
- Elbow River Healing Lodge
- The Alex