Project Set-up & Administration

The Nursing Research Facilitator (RF) will liaise with the University’s Research Services and Research Accounting offices on your behalf, including assistance with completing a new Project Request Form (if applicable). Please forward the NOA/LOA to the Nursing Research Facilitator with a request to set-up your new project.

A PRF is used to request that a new project account be set-up to administer your funding award. A PRF is required only if your grant application was not processed through the University’s Research Services Office (RSO) - which is generally the case for internal awards, for example. For projects requiring a PRF, please send the completed and signed form to the Nursing Research Facilitator, who will obtain the Faculty signature and forward the PRF and supporting documents to RSO on your behalf.

The Research Appointment Summary document from Human Resources provides a definition for each research appointment type and includes information about benefits, vacation and special leave entitlements. The process to hire or initiate a payment for each type of research appointment role is outlined here, as are the procedures for making changes to appointments (e.g. extensions, changing funding sources, terminations).

Requirements depend on the funding agency. It is the responsibility of the project holder to contact the agency to request an extension. Some agencies may not allow extensions. For internal grants, please contact the Nursing Research Facilitator.

For external grants, once official approval from an agency is received, please forward it to the appropriate Research Grants Officer in Research Services (or if you are unsure of who to contact). Tri-council has specific regulations around extensions – some programs have automatic extension periods, and others require written approval. Please consult the Tri-agency financial guide for details. In the case of grants governed by agreements or sub-grants from other institutions, normally an amendment to the agreement will need to be initiated by the primary institution and executed by all parties to authorize an extension. Contact the Research Grants Officer if you are unsure of the requirements. 

The Legal & IP team in the Research Services Office oversees the creation and review of research agreements for all faculties except the Cumming School of Medicine. The Legal & IP team ensures all agreements accurately reflects the terms of the relationship and they meet the requirements of the researchers, students, University and sponsors involved in the research project. Their review also ensures each specific research project complies with University policies. 

All research agreements are created in the name of the Governors of the University of Calgary are signed by the Vice-President (Research) or delegate under the Signing Authority Policy. Research agreements which do not comply with this requirement may not be binding on the University of Calgary.