The Master of Nursing thesis-based program offers a focused supervised research experience. Graduates will contribute to the transfer of new knowledge and skills to improve patient outcomes and develop strengthened leadership capacity to expand and evaluate practice.
Thesis-based students have a total of four years to complete the program.
Supporting documentation must be received by the deadline for applications to be considered complete and available for Faculty review.
Important Notes on Admission
Applicants who are interested in the graduate programs with the Faculty of Nursing should contact the Graduate Programs Office prior to applying. In particular, we encourage international applicants to reach out to learn more. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to the Faculty of Graduate Studies requirements, the Faculty of Nursing requires that an applicant must:
- Be a Registered Nurse or a Registered Psychiatric Nurse holding a baccalaureate degree, normally in nursing
- Registered Nurses must be eligible with active nursing registration in Alberta with CARNA (College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta) or Registered Psychiatric Nurses must be eligible with active registration in Alberta with CRPNA (College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta)
- Hold CPR Certification at the Basic Rescuer or Basic Cardiac Life Support or 'C' level.
- Have completed one undergraduate course (3 units) in Statistics with a grade of 'C' or better.
- Submit a Security/Police clearance letter (as required by Alberta Health Services- AHS for all nursing graduate students completing a practicum or research in the province)
- For applicants required to provide proof of proficiency in English submit a minimum:
- TOEFL score of 97 (Internet-based test);
- IELTS score of 7.0;
- PTE score of 68; or
- CAEL overall score of 70 (no less than 70 on reading and writing sections).
- This requirement can also be met by completing the Academic Communication Certificate with a minimum grade of "A-" in writing courses.
- Have an interview(s) with a faculty member, if required by the Faculty of Nursing
Forms for Application Package
Below are links to forms that need to be completed after you have submitted your online application for admission.
Intended focus of research
The application process includes a 1-2 outline of your proposed area of research. Your outline will offer the admissions committee evidence of your knowledge, commitment, and the experience that you hold as you pursue advanced preparation in Nursing.
You will upload this 1-2 page essay after you have submitted your online application.
Reference Request Form
The application for admission to the MN program requires two (2) references.
One (1) from an individual capable of assessing the applicants academic and research ability, normally an academic, and One (1) from an individual who can attest to the applicants nursing practice and expertise, normally the applicant’s supervisor or nurse manager. References written by friends, family members, colleagues, or people currently registered in a graduate degree program are not acceptable.
Your referees will receive a link to the reference request form after you have submitted your online application.
Further information is available in Grad Programs FAQs.
Transcripts from ALL post-secondary
This includes transcripts from the institutions where the degree was awarded, from any institution where any transfer credit was received towards a program of study, or from where any independent coursework was taken.
Due to the COVID pandemic,
Electronic transcripts are now being accepted, please forward to:
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
Official hard copy transcripts can be sent to the attention of:
Faculty of Graduate Studies
University of Calgary ES 1010
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
After Admission into the Program
Documents required following offer of admission
Once you received an offer of admission to the program, you will be expected to provide the following:
- Immunization record: All graduate students will be required to meet the UCalgary immunization standards. Please refer to FN008-01: Immunization Requirements for All Nursing Students on the Policies and Procedures page.
- Security Clearance Letter: Alberta Health Services requires security clearance checks for all nursing students including graduate students who will be doing a practicum or research in the region.
- Applicants should request the Police Security Clearance check no longer than 3 months prior to entering their program.
- A copy of your current CPR Certification at the Basic Rescuer or Basic Cardiac Life Support or “C” level.
Please do not submit these documents until you have received an offer of admission to the program.
- NURS 627 Academic Scholarly Writing – Milestone course must be completed within first two weeks of program (non-credit)
- NURS 692 Qualitative Designs and Analysis (3 units)
- NURS 630 Quantitative Research and Statistics (3 units)
- NURS 632 Writing Proposals for the Nursing Profession (3 units)
- NURS 635 Cultivating Personal Leadership (3 units)
- NURS 611 Theoretical Knowledge and Advanced Nursing Practice (3 units)
- Additional electives, as necessary