Nursing Undergrad ASIST Suicide Prevention Training
Nov. 28 & 29 Workshops
The Undergraduate Nursing Society in collaboration with the Faculty of Nursing Mental Health & Wellness Initiative will be offering ASIST training workshops for Fall 2020 and Winter 2021.
The Nov 28 & 29 ASIST workshop has been canceled due to COVID. This event will be rescheduled for a future date.
Please continue to check this ASIST page for new updates.
COVID-19 precautions to note
- All attendees must be pre-registered.
- If you or anyone in your household has a fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or shortness of breath, or is a close contact of a person who tested positive for COVID-19, please do not attend the event.
- Masks: For the safety of our campus community, UCalgary students, faculty, staff, as well as visitors to campus, will be required to wear non-medical masks in indoor public spaces at all Calgary campuses beginning Aug. 1. This decision was made to align with the COVID-19 City of Calgary Mask Bylaw and applies to all UCalgary facilities. Masks are required to be worn in all UCalgary indoor public areas such as hallways, washrooms, and elevators. In classrooms/event spaces, individuals can remove the mask once seated, and as long as they maintain a two-metre distance from others. Exceptions to mask use in indoor public spaces on campus are the same as those outlined in the City bylaw. The university’s protocols for public spaces reflect the guidelines of the Province and the City, and are subject to change as the fluid COVID-19 situation evolves. Please follow the UCalgary mask FAQ page for the latest information. Please note that event participants are required to provide their own masks.
- Please bring into the event space only the necessities. (For example small purse/bag, keys, water bottle, etc.). There will be no coat check or storage available at the event so anything you bring in must be kept with you.
- There will be no water fountains available during the event as per Alberta Health Services guidelines, so please ensure you bring your own water bottle or drinking container.
About Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a 2-day program that is offered by the Centre for Suicide Prevention. Thanks to the grant writing efforts of Candace Cho (4th year Undergraduate Nursing Student), beginning in January 2020, ASIST training will be offered to undergraduate nursing students (free of charge).
Three ASIST training workshops will be offered in Fall 2020 and six workshops will be delivered in Winter 2021. Stay tuned for recruitment announcements. This program is made possible by the UCalgary SU Quality Money Fund.