March 27, 2023
Nursing students receive COVID-19 Leadership Scholarships
COVID-19 has undoubtedly had a massive global impact, especially on our health-care system. Fourth year student Alice Choi wanted to recognize the inspirational work of her fellow nursing students during this challenging time and was successful in her application for funding from the SU Quality Money initiative to:
- Recognize the commendable efforts of nursing students during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Benefit an under-represented group of undergraduate students;
- Promote leadership in clinical practice;
- Relieve the financial burden of tuition and other academic nursing costs, such as NCLEX preparation courses and NCLEX examination fees; and
- Inspire continued contribution, service and leadership in our greater community, whether that be in the city or around the world.
This scholarship is offered to students in third and fourth year because that is when students have clinical placements in higher acuity health-care settings such as hospitals. In the 2022-2023 academic year, six third-year nursing students and six fourth-year were selected to receive one $1,000 COVID-19 Leadership Scholarship. Here are a few of the recipients in their own words.
COVID-19 Scholarship Recipients
- Nadia Bibi
- Morgan Clowater
- Harleen Gill
- Faith Moghaddami
- Agam Khatkar
- Claire Hinse
- Orphelia Kamdem
- Moriah Kemper
- Janae Richards
- Athena Liu
- Bethany Churchill
- Esther Jo
Quality Money is a unique partnership between UCalgary Students Union [SU] and the UCalgary Board of Governors where the Board gives SU approximately $1.65 million to invest in projects that will enhance the overall quality of student experience. Each fall semester, the SU invites Quality Money proposals from students, faculty and other members of the campus community.
In the 2023-2024 academic year, another six third-year nursing students and six fourth-year nursing students will be awarded the COVID-19 Leadership Scholarship.